The New RCE
UNF’s current install of Canvas now defaults to the new Rich Content Editor, enhancing the content creation experience in Canvas. The following enhancements are included with this feature update:
- The Rich Content Editor expands to the full width of the browser and can also be expanded into full screen mode
- The toolbar includes a condensed, more intuitive look
- Toolbar menus are grouped by common icons and interactions
- The content sidebar only displays when linking to other parts of Canvas, accessing Canvas files, or accessing uploaded media
- Image and media additions include drag and drop; images include an Unsplash search and content auto-scaling
- When content in a browser window is long enough to require a scroll bar, the Rich Content Editor menu bar is fixed at the top of the browser window. Users can scroll the length of the browser page and manage content in the Rich Content Editor without having to scroll back up the page to access the menu.
- The Keyboard shortcut, Accessibility Checker, and HTML Editor icons have moved to the bottom of the editor next to the word count. Additionally, the Rich Content Editor window can be resized using the Move handle below the window, and the window can be expanded to full screen.
For more information on the New RCE – including some useful tutorials and updates on future enhancements – please see the Canvas Release Notes.
Good news for our mathematics and statistics instructors: in the Feb. 20 Canvas release, LaTeX equations can be entered in any Canvas text field and MathJax is loaded if Canvas detects an equation image added by delimited LaTeX characters. This change allows users to use equations in more areas of Canvas and manage equations more efficiently.
Multiple Notification Types on Canvas Mobile
Multiple notification types are not supported for Push notifications. Additional notification types can be enabled through other communication channels. This change streamlines communication for all user roles. When users open their Notification Preferences page or notifications in a Canvas app, Push notifications are only supported for specific notification categories. Users can adjust their notification preferences by setting up additional supported communication channels.
Additional details about supported notifications for Push notifications can be found in the Canvas Notifications PDF.