Currently, there is no built-in Canvas functionality for importing quiz questions from MS Word to a question pool or quiz. Respondus provides this by converting Word formatted question sets into a Canvas format and upload them directly into your Canvas course. This Guide will provide step-by-step instructions for the entire process.
Importing the MS Word File
Click the drop-down menu next to Current Personality and select the Instructure Canvas option.
Next click the Import Questions button and the Import Questions pop-up window will open.
- From the Type of file drop-down menu select the file type to import, for this example it is an old MS Word DOC file.
- Click the Browse button next to the File name field and locate the document to import. It is important that the file is properly formatted for Respondus before importing. For information on Respondus format see,
- Click the Preview button to verify the question imported successfully from the Preview results screen at the bottom of the window.
- Click the Finish button. This will closed the pop-up window and take you to the Edit screen.
Exporting to Canvas
- To begin click the Preview & Publish tab on the top menu.
- On the next screen from the left side of the screen select Publish to Canvas.
Click the Publish Wizard button and a pop-up window will open.
If you have used Respondus before and setup your Canvas Server profile:
- Select your profile from the Canvas Server drop-down menu.
- Click the Next button, and proceed to the Publish Wizard options of these instructions.
If this is your first time, proceed to Creating a Canvas Server Profile continue to Creating a Canvas Server Profile.
Creating a Canvas Server Profile
If this is your first time using a Respondus on the computer you are working at, you will need to setup a Canvas Server profile.
- On Publish Wizard pop-up click the drop-down menu next to to Canvas Server.
- Select Add Server and the Add New Server Settings window will come up.
- Check the box next to No, I want to enter the server settings manually.
- Click the Next button and the Instructure Canvas Server Settings pop-up will appear.
- Following the instructions in steps 1 – 3 on how to obtain the Server connection URL.
- The Descriptions field, step 4, can be any name of your choosing, but if you are on a shared computer choose something unique to you.
- The final bit of information is your User name and Password, these must be the same user name and password that you login to Canvas with.
- Click OK
- You will be returned Publish Wizard window, select your newly created Canvas Server, and click Next.
- You may receive a Central Authenication Service (CAS) login screen and if you do, type your Canvas user and password and click Login.
- Canvas will ask you to authorize Respondus Quiz Builder requesting access to your account, click the blue Authorize button.
- This concludes setting up a Canvas Server Profile.
Publish Wizard Options
- It is recommended that you upload all question sets as Question Banks rather than a Quiz. This option allows you the great flexibility on how you can use, and reuse, these questions in Canvas.
- Click Create and provide a name for the new question bank, or quiz.
- Click Next and now you can select the Canvas course to upload the questions to.
- Select the course to upload the questions to. Only courses you are enrolled as a Teacher will appear on this list.
- Click Next to upload the questions.
The upload status screen displays the progress of your upload.
- You will know the upload was successful when you receive the Publish Completed Successfully message. If an upload fails, try again.
- Click the Finish button to return to the Preview & Publish tab.
If you require assistance with any part of the process, or would like to request that CIRT upload questions for your, please contact CIRT at 620-5264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.