Currently, Quizzes in Canvas are difficult to print and cannot be downloaded directly to a MS Word format. Quizzes can be exported from Canvas in the QTI format and then imported into Respondus. From Respondus the quiz can be printed. This Guide will provide step-by-step instructions for the entire process.
Please note this feature only works with quizzes and not question banks. If desired to download an entire question bank create a quiz with all the questions from the question bank first.
Exporting a Quiz from Canvas
To export a quiz navigate to a course and:
- Click Settings in the course navigation menu.
- On the course details page click Export Course Content.
The Content Export page will load and from here:
- Click on Quiz under Export Type.
- Uncheck All quizzes and select the quiz you want to export. Respondus will only recognize one quiz per export file, so you will have to repeat this process for each quiz.
- Click the blue Create Export button.
- You will see a progress bar indicating the status of the export and once finished you will be presented a download link, click it.
Importing a Quiz in Respondus
- Click the Browse button next to the File name field and locate the Canvas Export file you just downloaded. In order to find the file you may have to switch the file type from IMS QTI questions (.xml, .qti) to Zipped IMS QTI packagae (.zip).
- Next you will need to enter a name for the Respondus file.
- Click the Preview button and you can verify the question imported successfully from the Preview results screen at the bottom of the window.
- Click the Finish button. This will closed the pop-up window and take you to the Edit screen.
Exporting a Respondus Quiz to Word
- To begin click the Preview & Publish tab on the top menu.
- On the next screen from the left side of the screen select Print Options.
The Print Options page will open and from here you can choose the exam format and whether to print it or save to file.
- Select the test format and click Settings for additional options.
- Option to add header, not necessary.
- Question randomization options which allow you to create multiple versions of a test.
- Select the number range of questions to include, leaving this blank will include all of the questions in the test.
The last step is to click the Save to File button and select what file format and destination to save the test to. You can select either Print Preview or Send to Printer to print to paper. If you use Respondus to upload tests to Canvas remember to switch the personality back to Canvas, see first step of Importing a Quiz in Repondus