While Canvas does not provide a native blog tool, this article describes a method for using the Discussions as a way to create a blog assignment for your course. The underlying mechanic for this method is allowing students the ability to create their own Discussions in the course. If you are hesitant in granting students this permission the alternative will be for you to create a discussion thread for each student’s blog. Either method will work, and if you intend to create the Blogs for the students you will need to follow the steps in Creating the Blog for each student in your course.
Creating the Blog
If you opted to allow students the ability to create their own discussion threads, theses are the instructions they will need to follow when creating their blog. If you are creating the discussion threads for each student, you will need to repeat this process for each student in the course.
Click on Discussions in the left navigation menu in your course.
Click on the blue +Discussion button. This thread will serve as your individual blog.
- Title the blog using your name – e.g. “John Doe’s Blog”
- Check Allow threaded replies, but do not check or select any other settings.
- Feel free to add a description in the Rich Content Editor box.
Click the grey Save & Publish button at the bottom right and your blog will now appear in the Discussions area.
Blog Posts and Comments
- To post a new blog entry in your blog feed, enter your post in the top Reply area.
- To comment on another student’s blog entry, click Reply underneath a specific entry.
- To comment on any user comment to a specific entry, click Reply under that specific comment.
Let Students Create Discussion Topics
This option will allow students the ability to create new discussion topics in your course. By default this option is available in all new courses, but if you turned it off, or it was turned off from a course copy, you will need to re-enable it.
- From the course navigation menu click Settings.
- On the Settings page ensure you are on the Course Details tab and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click the more options link.
- Click the fifth option, Let students create discussion topics.
- Click the blue Update Course Details button at the bottom of the page.