IMPORTANT: Office Mix Service is being phased out by Microsoft
- January 1, 2018: You’ll no longer be able to sign up as a new user or download the Office Mix add-in from the website. Existing users who already have the Mix add-in installed will still be able to use it to upload, edit, view, and download their existing content.
- May 1, 2018: The Office Mix site and all its content will be officially discontinued. The site will no longer be accessible after that date. Any links to your Office Mix content that you previously shared with others will stop working after this date.
This article describes in the details the process for setting up Office Mix on your computer. While you will only have one Office Mix account the Office Mix software needs to be installed on any computer you wish to access it from. Before starting the software install please read the following:
- Office Mix is Windows only and not compatible with Mac
- You must have Microsoft Office installed
- You will need either a Google, Microsoft, or Facebook account to login to your Office Mix account
- You will need to have administrative rights to your computer, if this is a campus computer you can contact the ITS Help Desk at 620-HELP for assistance
The installation process is broken into three parts:
- Installing Office Mix
- Requesting a Consumer Key and Shared Secret
- Setting up the Office Mix LTI in your Canvas course
Installing Office Mix
Instructions removed due to Microsoft retiring this service beginning with restricting new account creation and Office Mix installation on Jan. 2018. If you already have an OfficeMix account you can still setup the LTI in Canvas and create new mixes until May. 2018.
We encourage you to begin saving your narrated PowerPoints and moving them into OneDrive.
Requesting a Consumer Key and Shared Secret
From your web browser go to https://mix.office.com/lti/ which will take you to the Integrating Office Mix using LTI page. Click the blue Register an LMS button.
The Register your LMS course screen will come up and you will need to:
- Provide a name (can be anything)
- Check the box allowing Office Mix to send your data to Canavs
- Click the blue Save button
Next the Settings page will appear and you will need to save the following information in either a Notepad or Word file. You will only need to enter it in your course once, but it is helpful to keep on hand if you need to setup Office Mix in another course.
With the Consumer Key, Shared Secret, and Launch URL you are now ready to for the last step and that is adding the Office Mix LTI in your Canvas course.
Setting up the Office Mix LTI in your Canvas course
Before proceeding with the LTI setup you must already have a Consumer Key, Shared Secret, and Lanuch URL. If you do not have one, see the instructions above.
From within the canvas course you want to install the LTI, click Settings from the Course Menu.
The course Settings page will load. At the top of the page click the App tab and Under External Apps locate the Office Mix app, click it.
The Office Mix app description will load, click the blue + Add App button.
The Add App window will appear.
- Name: Office Mix
- Copy the Consumer Key you acquired earlier
- Copy the Shared Secrete you acquired earlier
It is important that Consumer Key, Shared Secret, and Luanch URL are entered here exactly how they were given to you when requested. Be sure no white space was added before or after any of these items. Once ready, click the blue Submit button.
You will receive a message informing you the app was added successful. You Canvas course is now ready for Office Mix content.
Please contact CIRT at 620-3927 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like assistance with the Office Mix setup.