IMPORTANT: Office Mix Service is being phased out by Microsoft
- January 1, 2018: You’ll no longer be able to sign up as a new user or download the Office Mix add-in from the website. Existing users who already have the Mix add-in installed will still be able to use it to upload, edit, view, and download their existing content.
- May 1, 2018: The Office Mix site and all its content will be officially discontinued. The site will no longer be accessible after that date. Any links to your Office Mix content that you previously shared with others will stop working after this date.
This article describes the process for creating a narrated presentation in PowerPoint using Office Mix. Before starting this process, please read the following:
- Please make sure you have setup Office Mix.
- To record audio, you will need a microphone attached to your computer. UNF faculty can checkout microphones from CIRT.
- To record video, you will need a webcam attached to your computer. UNF faculty can checkout a webcam from CIRT.
The first step in the process is to build all the slides for the presentations, or you may use an existing presentation if you have one available. You can use the Office Mix Insert tools to add the following content to your presentation:
- Quiz questions
- Web pages
- Screen recordings
- Audio recordings
There are many resources already created to help you get started with Office Mix and to show you how to add presentations to your Canvas course.
- Office Mix Teacher User Guide
- Office Mix for Teachers Website
- Additional KB articles, Narrated PowerPoints
Directions on How to Create a Narrated Presentation within Office Mix
Once your slides are ready, click on the Mix tab, then click the Slide Recording button.
The Office Mix recording interface will open. Select the microphone from the microphone drop-down box that is located on the right side of the window in the Audio and Video section.
If you are using a webcam to record video, select the webcam from the Camera dropdown box that is located on the right side of the window in the Audio and Video section.
Click the Record button to start your recording. The recording will start immediately.
Record the narration for the first slide:
- When you have finished narrating the current slide, then use the navigation tools to continue to the next slide.
- Press the stop button when you have finished narrating the presentation.
Close the recording window. Click the Preview button in the Mix tab to preview your presentation.
If necessary, you can re-record any slide individually using the Slide Recording tool.
Once you have confirmed that the presentation play back correct, then click on the Mix tab and click the Upload to Office Mix button.
Click the Next button on the bottom of the Upload to Office Mix panel to the right of the window.
You will be directed to a welcome screen which requires you to login with either your Microsoft, Facebook, or Google account (UNF does not have a school account).
Choose if you are uploading this Mix as a new Mix or if you are updating an existing mix; and check the box if you want the Mix to be downloadable or watchable on mobile devices, then click the Next button.
Wait until the Mix has finished uploading and processing then click the Show me my mix button
Your new mix will open in a browser window. Complete the information about the mix:
- Give your mix a title.
- Select a Category for your mix.
- Set the Permission & Sharing level to ‘Unlisted’ or ‘Public’
- Click the Save button
You will receive a confirmation that the mix has been saved to your My Mixes area of the Office Mix website. The mix is ready to be used in your Canvas course.